Advanced Google Tag Manager
Do you feel like you know Google Tag Manager, but you’re only scratching the surface? Has your website’s growth plateaued?
Master Google Tag Manager’s complexities with Google Developer Expert Simo Ahava. Take advantage of Simo’s years of experience to customize interactions with your web page and tailor GTM’s data collection to maximize revenue.
In this 6-class training program, you'll learn:
- Understand the data model of GTM, and how it can work for (and against) you
- The ins and outs of the dataLayer
- learn how to turn GTM into a true force of power in your data organization
This course is right for you if...
- You want to know how to make GTM management easier with the API
This course is NOT for you if...
- You are looking for a deep-dive into mobile GTM or the GTM programmatic API
- You are only just starting with GTM and don’t like technical descriptions, live coding, or browser developer tools
- Web analytics deployment and implementation is not important to you, or you think GTM replaces your IT department or developers
Skills you should have:
Intermediate understanding of how GTM works, especially how tags, triggers, and variables interact
Basic understanding of how the web browser works, especially when it comes to event tracking, the Data Layer, and Chrome’s developer tools
Get more confidence with the technology stack of the web
Google Tag Manager sits firmly in the fascinating interface between different parts of the organization: marketing, IT, HR, sales, and products & services. It’s a tool that can be utilized by everyone in the organization to not only track and to enhance advertising capabilities, but to collect and distribute information between different systems connected to the website (CRM, for example).
Learn the ins and outs of the Data Layer
In this course, you’ll learn about the multiple faces of the Data Layer. You’ll understand how the Array is actually just a message bus, feeding messages to Google Tag Manager’s internal data model. You’ll learn how Google Tag Manager introduces an imitation of “state” in the browser, and how you can use this to your advantage when passing data to and from the website.
Understanding the interplay between the website, the Data Layer, and Google Tag Manager is vital if you want to make the most of the tool.
Understand how Google Tag Manager works under the hood
Much of this course will be about how Google Tag Manager works under the hood. It’s not just a theoretical exercise, though, as the learning curve of GTM is very steep and necessarily involves understanding how things like GTM’s data model, event tracking, and end-to-end debugging work. These lessons can be easily translated to actual use cases, and you can use this knowledge to make the container more than just the sum of its parts.
About your instructor:
Simo Ahava is a recognized expert on customizing web analytics and tag management solutions to improve the entire “life cycle” of data collection, processing, and reporting. His main areas of expertise lie with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager. Google has appointed him as a Google Developer Expert in these fields.
Simo holds the position of Senior Data Advocate at Reaktor. He also writes a popular blog on all things Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager development at www.simoahava.com.
An experienced speaker and prolific blogger, Simo can be seen and heard in conferences, product forums, support communities, and developer meet-ups alike.
What people have to say about Simo & this course
A lot of hands on examples of truly advanced GTM principles.
One of the best, most informative classes I have ever taken. Simo is a fantastic teacher and even more knowledgable than I knew based on his blog.
Simo’s class is the most exciting, actionable, rich, detailed, class I have ever taken. This class alone is worth the price of admission for a year to the Institute. OMG. Thanks for bringing this to the world!
If you want to learn a skill, it's best to learn from an expert. For Google Tag Manager, that expert is Simo.
Even better, he is not the expert just for his knowledge but also for his ability break that knowledge down to a level that others can understand and learn to apply themselves.
In just 6 sessions,
you’ll be able to:
- Learn how to customize GTM event tracking to track interactions on a site
- Customize your Google Analytics setup using Tasks API, hitCallback, the Google Analytics Settings variable, and regular expressions
Your 6-session curriculum:
Advanced Google Tag Manager
You’ll also get a refresher on function syntax, closures, callbacks, good coding practices, and how these all tie in with Google Tag Manager. It won’t be just a coding lesson--we’ll also learn some cool tips, tricks, and custom variables you can use to power up your container.
- Dealing with race conditions, asynchronous loading, jQuery, etc.
Event tracking is one of the defining features of Google Tag Manager. Using GTM’s native listeners, you can track user interactions on the site with great accuracy. However, there are pitfalls you need to be aware of, and we’ll cover these in this lesson.
- How GTM’s triggers work.
- How to debug GTM’s triggers and the underlying mechanisms.
- What typically breaks event propagation.
- How to create custom event listeners.
The Data Layer
The Data Layer is another key feature of Google Tag Manager. It serves multiple purposes - acting as a message queue that feeds data from the website to Google Tag Manager (and back), as well as structures the data in GTM’s own internal data model. There are ways to manipulate the data in the data model, and we’ll take a look at these methods in this class. You’ll learn about Data Layer messages and events, about the interface to GTM’s data model, how to manipulate the data in the data model, and how this all relates to GTM’s core features like tag sequencing.
- The dataLayer array
- State in Google Tag Manager
- Debugging the Data Layer in Google Tag Manager
- Google Tag Manager’s internal data model
- Recursive merge and the Version 2 of the Data Layer Variable
Advanced Google Analytics Tracking
Google Analytics is, for many, the main reason to migrate to Google Tag Manager. In this class, we’ll take a look at how you can use GTM to manipulate the data collection of GA, by focusing on advanced features like hitCallback, customTask, and the “transport” field. We’ll also go over things like cross-domain tracking, and how GTM interacts with the tracker object created by analytics.js.
- Google Tag Manager and the tracker object
- Cross-domain tracking using GTM
- customTask for advanced configuration
- Enhanced Ecommerce tips and tricks
The API, Tips And Tricks
In this final class, we’ll first do a live walkthrough of the GTM API, by programming a Google Sheets add-on, which pulls in information from Google Tag Manager. Not only will you learn about Google’s APIs and their authentication methods, but you’ll also have a good grasp on how to use these APIs to automate your own tasks. We’ll wrap up the whole course with a handful of tips and tricks learned after using Google Tag Manager since day 1.
- Quick overview of the Google Tag Manager API
- Live coding lesson for pulling account/container data from the API into a Google Sheets document
- 30 hand-picked tips from 5 years of working with Google Tag Manager
In this bonus session, Simo will:
- Tackle any lingering questions that attendees might have had in FB or the previous class chats
- Repeat some of the key lessons from the previous five classes
- Go through any material he might not have had time to visit during the five classes
You will also get introductory video lessons
In addition to classes, you’ll get access to snack-sized video lessons to bring you up to speed on the course topics.
Show Off Your New Skills: Get a Certificate of Completion
Once the course is over, pass a test to get CXL certified in advanced GTM.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile or just get that well-earned raise you’ve been waiting for.
- Introductory video lessons to bring you up to speed.
- 6 in-depth sessions with Simo.
- Supplementary resources and guides.
- Actionable assignments so you can put your knowledge to practice immediately.
Need help communicating the value of this course?
ENROLL NOW — $399.00
Teams of 2 and more get a 25% discount during checkout.
After completing the payment you can login to the course homepage. 7-day money back guarantee.