Fundamentals of persuasive websites
Designing and running websites can be incredibly frustrating. You see a large number of users visiting your site, and yet, so few of them take action. It’s maddening!
This introductory course will teach you how to understand better the ways users think and leverage that to encourage them to complete your calls to action.
Note: this is not a design course. It’s a website strategy course – what should go on your website.
After just 4 sessions, you’ll be able to
- Understand psychology and how it influences our decisions.
- Elicit trust through your website.
- Build a user interface that persuades users to take action.
- Write compelling copy.
- Evaluate an existing webpage and identify ways it could be more persuasive.
- Create compelling calls to action.
This course is right for you if…
- You run or build e-commerce sites and are looking to raise your conversion rate and average order value
- You have landing pages that are failing to convert.
- You would like to increase the number of people signing up to your newsletter.
- You are keen to see your website generate more quality leads.
In fact, this course is for anybody who wants to encourage users to take specific actions when visiting your site!
This course is NOT for you if…
- You already have extensive experience in sales and marketing techniques.
- You are looking for quick fix persuasion techniques, no matter its impact on customer satisfaction.
- You are not interested in building long term relationships with your clients.
- You are unwilling to consider improvements that extend beyond changes to the user interface.
This class will give you all the tools and techniques…
…you need to understand what motivates your users, and how to turn that into specific changes you can make to your site.
These changes will allow you to motivate users into action, without alienating them in the process. By adopting this kind of ethical approach to persuasion, you can increase conversion, while also encouraging repeat business and word of mouth recommendation.
But most of all, you'll learn to avoid investing heavily in your site only to see disappointing results.
About your instructor:
Paul is a leader in digital strategy and user experience design. He has been working with organisations such as Centrica, Shell and Doctors Without Borders for over 20 years. Through consultancy and training, he helps businesses make better use of digital technologies. He helps them engage with today’s connected consumers.
Paul is also a well-respected figure in the digital sector. Author of five books including Digital Adaptation and User Experience Revolution. He also writes for industry publications including Smashing Magazine, Sitepoint and Net Magazine.
Finally, Paul speaks around the world on user experience design and digital transformation. Alongside speaking, he also hosts the award-winning user experience podcast over at boagworld.com.
See what others are saying
The Fundamentals of persuasive websites really helps optimizers and web designers recalibrate their approach when it comes to making changes to websites. From learning to put credibility before hype to using language that encourages action, this course will make your website better in a short period of time. I encourage anyone who is interested in learning what it takes to motivate website visitors to take action (ethically!) to enroll in this course today.
This is one of those short courses that you can revisit to refresh, reinforce, or reference the fundamentals of persuasion, design, copy, and customer value.
It was a great course, easy to follow and well presented.
I deal with landing page optimization, quality score, and ad copy on a daily basis as a PPC specialist. The course is very hands-on with great examples and case studies (Booking.com is my favorite). Highly recommended!
In just 4 sessions, you’ll be able to:
- Adopt an approach to persuasion that doesn’t resort to manipulation and alienating potential customers.
- Apply the psychology of human thinking to improve your conversion rate.
- Write compelling copy that engages with users and encourages them to act.
- Craft calls to action that users feel compelled to click.
Classes are self-paced and entirely online.
Fundamentals of persuasive websites
How to approach persuasion the right way
There are compelling techniques available to us with which we can persuade users to act. However, using these methods are not without their dangers. Use them unwisely, and you can alienate users and damage your brand. In this session, you look at how to approach persuasion in the right way.
Mastering the psychology behind being more persuasive
To persuade people to act you first need to understand their motivation. In this second session, you will learn how people think with an introduction to human psychology.
The secrets that will enable you to write more persuasive copy
Compelling copy is often the key to persuasion, yet most online copy is uninspiring and does not resonate with the audience. In this session, you will discover how to write compelling copy that motivates people to take action.
Make your calls to action more clickable
All too often, conversion rates are damaged when calls to action are overlooked or undervalued. In this session, you will be taught the design principles that will ensure users spot your calls to action and how to make them compelling.
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once you watch all the classes, pass a test to get CXL certified in the fundamentals of persuasive websites.
Need help getting your employer to pay for this program?
Enroll to CXL Institute now:
Some of the companies that train their teams here: