Master fundamentals of
Google Tag Manager
Learn GTM to 10x your effectiveness as a marketer by giving you power and control over your data measurement.
By Chris Mercer, analytics and tag management expert
Course length: 16h 30min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
This training program will give you
- A knowledge of how to use Google Tag Manager to deploy third-party tracking scripts.
- The power to set up tracking without having to rely on a developer.
- A system you can immediately use to make sure all of your tags (HotJar, Optimizely, Mixpanel, etc.) stay organized.
Google Tag Manager is an essential skill of any technical digital marketer or analyst
Google Tag Manager probably isn’t something that keeps you up at night, wondering where you’re falling short skillwise. But if you’re in digital marketing, maybe it should be.
Google Tag Manager is a control center for your online data
What is a tag manager, anyway?
It’s like a control center for your data. If you’re operating without a control center, you’re not getting all the value out of your data measurement and analysis.
Maybe you’ve even installed Google Tag Manager and started to play around with it, but you realized it wasn’t as intuitive as you first thought. This is common. Thing is, while some of the basics are easy to get down (setting up tags, for instance), the power of Google Tag Manager goes far beyond these things. But even with some preliminary skills, you can do some awesome things with GTM.
Have now created over ten containers for clients and seeing real results when it comes to event tracking and adding conversion pixels.
Google Tag Manager opens up new worlds for you with analytics and optimization
Wouldn’t it be nice to simplify cross-domain tracking so your data is actually useful? To set up custom events and variables to track on page activity with greater granularity? To allow your marketing team to deploy tags without calling over a developer to help out?
Google Tag Manager solves so many of the most common problem marketers have with analytics.
Playing around by yourself can be valuable, but it’s so much more efficient to watch over an expert’s shoulder as they show you the ins and outs, the most important and powerful use cases, of Google Tag Manager.
“I’d go so far as to say that a [Tag Management System] is practically a prerequisite to managing analytics efficiently, and ultimately to deriving serious value from analytics at all.”Nick Iyengar in MarTechToday, 2016
Tag management is relatively new in the grand scheme of the digital marketing world. It’s only going to become more and more important to know and master in the years to come, especially if you’re in digital marketing.
Take the time and invest in yourself; your future in marketing may depend on it.
Just when I think I’ve gotten good at Tag Manager, I talk with Mercer and realize there is more power in that tool than I could even imagine.
The man is constantly pushing the tool to its limit and has a better handle on the application than anyone I know.
This course is right for you if…
- You’re a digital marketer who wants to increase the value you provide to the company (and get paid more).
- You’re an analyst who wants to derive more value from their data and open up your analytics insights to your organization, even those without technical skills.
- You want to accomplish things like cross-domain tracking, custom tracking, enhanced ecommerce tracking, and tag deployment – with ease.
- You’re tired of having to rely on developers to set up tracking for you.
- You want to supercharge the analytics skills you already have, and get more out of the data you’re currently working with.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You consider yourself an advanced Google Tag Manager user.
- You’re bored by this analytics and “tracking” stuff, and just want to be creative
About your instructor, Chris Mercer
Mercer (as he’s known) is the co-founder of Seriously Simple Marketing and has been helping marketers, marketing teams, and agencies implement and unlock the power of Google Tag Manager since 2013.
He has spoken at conferences around the globe, including Traffic & Conversion, Digital Elite Camp, Performance Marketing Summit and Conversion Conference.
training course on Google Tag Manager
CXL Institute brings you an in-depth online training course led by analytics and tag management expert, Chris Mercer, of Seriously Simple Marketing.
This course will make you effective at using Google Tag Manager to increase your analytics powers at your company.
If you’re on a small team, you’ll be a hero. If you’re a marketer or an analyst at a larger organization, the value you bring to your role will drastically increase.
- Be competent in one of the most useful tools out there for a digital marketer.
- Confidently know that your tracking isn’t broken
- Use Google Tag Manager to deploy third party tracking scripts
- Set up tracking without having to rely on a developer
- Get more insights from your data with advanced tracking.
- Build a system you can use immediately to make sure your tags stay organized
When you complete this course, you’ll be able to
GTM expert Chris Mercer will pull back the curtain and let you watch over his shoulder as he shows you:
- How to use tags, triggers, and variables to customize your tracking and get more value from your data
- How to do simple cross-domain tracking
- How to use GTM to send multiple sources of data to Google Analytics
- How to create automatic tracking events
- How to set up retargeting and tracking pixels for customer acquisition campaigns
- How to use the GTM “dataLayer” feature
- How to add users and manage workflow, turning your company into a culture that values and uses data to make better decisions
All in all, this course is going to make you a lot of money.
Your full course curriculum
Google Tag Manager for beginners
Setting up your first tag
This first class walks you, step-by-step, through the various features of GTM including how to set up your first tag.
Tracking scripts & pixels
Ready to place that remarketing pixel or heatmap tracking script? In this lesson, you see exactly how it's done (and what to watch out for).
Automatic link tracking
With the basics of GTM under your belt, you get to see how to use GTM to automatically track specific link clicks on your pages.
The data layer
One of the most powerful features Google Tag Manager offers is the dataLayer. With it, you'll supercharge your ability to track and report, and you see exactly what the dataLayer is and how to use it during this class.
In the past, cross-domain tracking has been a complicated setup that involved developers. In this class, you'll see how to dramatically simplify the process using GTM.
How likely are your visitors to scroll down on your page? If they do, how far? With this class you'll be able to tell GTM to begin tracking all that scroll data so you know.
Setting up advanced ecommerce tracking
With GTM, reporting ecommerce data to Google Analytics can be snap! This lesson will show you what's required, what's not, and how you get make sure your sales are getting tracked.
Google Tag Manager etiquette
Now that you're a GTM rockstar, you'll want to use it all the time. With this final lesson, you'll see how to make sure your GTM stays organized as you begin to scale.
You will also get 10 snack-size video lessons to get started
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once the course is over, pass a test to get certified.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile, or just get that well-earned raise.
Need help getting your employer to pay for this program?
Enroll to CXL Institute now:
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute: