Get more out of Google Tag Manager
Intermediate Google Tag Manager
By Jacob Shafer, analytics expert
Course length: 10h 30min
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute:
This training program will give you
- Greater data governance and control over your tag management.
- Knowledge of underutilized and super powerful GTM features.
- A thorough QA process and ways to speed up your changes and implementations across teams.
Unlock the true power of Google Tag Manager
Have you been using GTM for a while, but feel like there’s more to the tool than you’re currently using? Well, you’re right. GTM is a powerful tool and many of its features often go underutilized.
The knowledge and strategies incorporated in this training are the same that are used in enterprise level companies around the world.
This course goes deep
If you’re on this page asking yourself, “what’s a tag manager?” this course probably isn’t for you.
Think of this as Google Tag Manager 201. You’ve been functionally using GTM for a while, you know the terminology and landscape, and you’ve effectively implemented tag management in your organization.
This course is the next step. It brings you from functional to effective, and from beginner to intermediate or advanced.
While I worked with GTM from the start, I was basically a newbie before taking this class. I learned many things, from structuring my tagging to “simple” things like forcing SSL for GA calls, using customTask and more. My company’s GTM tagging has been solid and without error ever since the class, proving us actionable insights daily
Greater data governance and control
In addition to learning more of the technical capabilities of Google Tag Manager, you’ll also learn how to manage your data and tags more efficiently. You and your team will operate at a higher level, reducing time to implementation and reducing errors while opening up data to anyone on your team who desires it.
The entire second module of the course is devoted to such strategic components of Google Tag Manager. Sure, the technical and tactical components are useful and you need to start with those.
But once you know the inner working of GTM, it’s time to graduate to looking at your tag management as a strategic operation.
Do things the right way
When implemented well, GTM significantly reduces the time it takes for your team to manage tags. It allows advanced tracking and just overall greater data governance.
But it is important to roll it out carefully.
We’re seeing more and more companies who race forward to quickly and miss an important step in planning. Then, they end up with inaccurate data.
This course will teach you to avoid common mistakes, and therefore, will save you time, money, and stress in the long run.
Take your Google Tag Manager skills to the next level
- Be competent in one of the most useful tools out there for a digital marketer.
- Speed up implementations and changes to your tag management.
- Unlock advanced tracking solutions.
- Discover features of GTM you’ve been missing out on.
- Build a system that opens up greater data control and governance in your company.
- Create QA and workflow processes that eliminate costly and annoying mistakes.
This course is right for you if…
- You want to take advantage of everything GTM can do, not just the basic features.
- You have used GTM regularly for at least 3-6 months.
- You consider yourself a “technical marketer” or analyst and want to become even better.
- You have previously taken a foundational GTM course (including ours) and want to level up.
This course is probably not for you if…
- You still need to brush up on the basic GTM features
About your instructor, Jacob Shafer
Jacob is a web developer who’s passionate about creatively solving real-world problems.
He develops cutting edge projects that impact the world and challenge his expertise.
Jacob’s background lies in finding innovative ways to improve user experience, program efficiency, and team performance.
Your full course curriculum
Intermediate Google Tag Manager Training
What is GTM, really?
Simply calling GTM a Tag Manager can lead to confusion as to what a "Tag" is and what a Tag Manager's role is. We will seek to remove some of this ambiguity and attempt to give a better picture of what is going on with GTM 'under the hood"
- What is an Analytics Tag (and why is named a Tag?)
- What role does a Tag Management system plays in the codebase
- dataLayer "under the hood"
Variables can give your GTM strategy power and efficiency...if used correctly. This class will dive into using variables more effectively and efficiently to populate data dynamically.
- Variable strategies
- Seldom used variables and their use cases
Triggers are what make your tags send data. We will look at more advanced ways that triggers can be utilized and how to avoid common pitfalls.
- Overview of triggers
- Advanced triggers and common pitfalls
- Seldom used triggers and how to put them to work
Advanced tag settings
If you want to get the most out of your tags and tracking, you need to be using advanced tag settings. This session is an immersive on doing just that.
- Fields to set
- Advanced Google Analytics configuration
- Advanced tag settings
Debug and workflow
The order in which you make updates in GTM is vital to minimize the risk of errors and to maximize your time efficiency.
- Workflow when setting up new Google Analytics tags
- Workflow when setting up new Custom HTML marketing tags
- Debugging workflows
Creating custom libraries
When you want to expand the functionality of GTM, Custom HTML tags are invaluable. This class will walk through how to craft a custom scroll tracking solution in GTM. This lesson will be immediately practical and useful, and you’ll be able to get your hands dirty implementing this solution.
- How Custom HTML tags work
- Scroll Tracking Solution Example
- Browser security and avoiding errors in the browser
This class will unlock the Google Tag Manager API for you. With the proper knowledge and skill set, the GTM API will allow you to make changes faster and more efficiently.
- Best Use Cases for using the GTM API
- Examples of updates that can be made
- Resources to get started
This class will be a deep dive into Mobile Apps GTM containers and the key differences from Web GTM Containers
- Firebase vs. Legacy Containers
- Difference between Web and Mobile
- AMP Containers
You will also get 10 introductory videos
In addition to classes, you’ll get access to snack-size video lessons on the fundamentals of Google Analytics when you enroll. That way, you’re prepared to dive deep into the data with Charles.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
Show off your new skills: Get a certificate of completion
Once you have completed the course, pass a test to earn a CXL certification.
Add it to your resume, your LinkedIn profile, or just get that well-earned raise.
Need help getting your employer to pay for this program?
Enroll to CXL Institute now:
Some of the companies that train their teams at CXL Institute: